It was such a great year for hard rock, I thought I would take a look at some of my favorite songs from the last year. There were many good tunes, but the ones listed below were my personal favorites!
- I Wanna Be Your Man – Endeverafter
- American Metalhead – Sebastian Bach
- Life is Beautiful – Sixx A.M.
- Stand Up For Rock ‘n’ Roll – Airbourne
- Ladies and Gentleman – Saliva
- Before Tomorrow Comes – Alter Bridge
- Sleepwalker – Megadeth
- Six Feet Under – The Showdown
- Satisfaction – The Order
- 321 – The Scorpions
- Friday Night (In The City) – UGLY
- Horny – Sin City
- Operator – Soulcrusher
- Black Eyed Bruiser – Rose Tattoo
- Escaping the Clouds – Grand Lux
- Roots of Anger – Thunderstone
- Lost and Gone – Masterplan
- Miss Cocaine – Hell N’ Diesel
- I Don’t Wanna Stop – Ozzy Osbourne
- Biggest Letdown – Crash Anthem
- Forgive Me – Burn
- King of the Mountain – Redline
- Rock Bottom – Tesla
- Dreamin’ In A Casket – Hardcore Superstar
- Mustasch – Double Nature
2007 has been a very strong year for rock, and it was quite difficult narrowing down the list down to a top 10. Even 15 picks didn’t seem like enough, but finally some discs rose above all others.
There are many discs that didn’t make the top 15, but there are several released in 2007 that are worth checking out.
The following discs get Honorable Mentions:
- Hanoi Rocks – Street Poetry
- Grand Lux – Carved In Stone
- Sin City – This Ain’t Heaven……..Welcome to Hell
- JORN – The Gathering, and Unlocking the Past
- The Erotics – 30 Seconds Over You
- Bo Bice – See the Light
- The Gypsy Pistoleros – Wild, Beautiful, Damned
- Hardcore Superstar – Dreamin’ In Casket
- Crash Anthem – Inside A Red Room
- Redline – Ignition
- The Order – Metal Casino
- Burn – Global Warning
- Iced Earth – Framing Armageddon
- The Donnas – Bitchin’
- Tattooed Millionaires – Armed & Hammered
- Mustasch – Latest Version of the Truth
- Rose Tattoo – Blood Brothers
- Allen/Lande – The Revenge
- American Angel – Vanity
- Rush – Snakes & Arrows
- Koritni – Lady Luck
- Dirty Penny – Take it Sleezy
- Hell N Diesel – Passion For Power
- Pink Cream 69 – In10sity
- Gotthard – Domino Effect
The following are Hard Rock Hideout’s Top 15 list for 2007:
15. Tesla – Real to Reel
What’s this? A cover album in the Top 15? Yes, indeed. Usually, I am not fond of cover albums, Tesla’s Real to Reel has received a crazy amount of spins from me in 2007. When I am able to listen to music at work, this is an easy choice for me to pick. Even though it is a cover album, it is a very strong one. Tesla fans already own this, everyone else should too.
14. Saxon – The Inner Sanctum
31 years later, and UK metal band Saxon is still delivering the goods. I must admit that I didn’t expect a lot from this release when I first put it in my player. I can happily say that The Inner Sanctum is as solid as any rock disc you will hear all year.
13. The Answer – Rise (Special Edition)
Ok, this pick may be cheating a little, but it deserves to be mentioned here. The Answer re-released their debut album as a 2 CD set in 2007. (The original was released in 2006). The second CD was a nice bonus, and is still in my active rotation. This CD still hasn’t received a proper U.S. release yet, and is well worth the import price. An amazing band with a great classic rock sound. They are making new fans in every city they visit.
12. The Showdown – Temptation Come My Way
Tennessee’s The Showdown shed most of their hardcore sound from their debut record, to release a hard rock/metal disc that continues to get regular spins from me. Being picked to play on Ozzfest, the band seemed to have a big year in store for them in 2007, but this disc never took off. It is a shame, as it is a very solid release.
11. Crazy Lixx – Loud Minority
The new CD by Crazy Lixx, is one of the top glam metal discs of 2007. The band is out to bring back 80’s style rock, and they a fine job of it. Hair metal fans will love it.
10. Ugly – S/T
I discovered this band late in 2007, and was quite glad I did so. This is straight forward rock, and a CD that I enjoy regularly. Everyone needs a dose of Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll. Ugly delivers it well! Guitarist Kevin McCreery will surprise you with his playing on this disc.
9. Operator – Soulcrusher
Operator’s Soulcrusher was a nice surprise in 2007. Johnny Strong’s vocal style is quite similar to ex-Soundgarden front man Chris Cornell. First time I heard the title track Soulcrusher, I thought this was new Soundgarden music. Cool stuff!
8. W.A.S.P. – Dominator
Dominator still hasn’t received proper release in the United States yet. It is sad, because many rock fans are missing out on another solid effort by Blackie Lawless and company. This is worth importing if you are a W.A.S.P fan.
7. Thunderstone – Evolution 4.0
Before 2007, I haven’t heard of Thunderstone before. Evolution 4.0 is the first record that I picked up by this Finnish metal band. I have played Evolution 4.0 a ton in 2007. This is killer progressive, hard rock!
6. Endeverafter – Kiss or Kill
80’s style hard rockl never sounded so good in 2007. This young band flat out rocks. This disc took forever to come out, and it was definitely worth the wait. I expect big things to happen for this band in 2008.
5. Megadeth – United Abominations
Megadeth is a band that rarely disappoints me. I have been spinning United Abominations regularly for several months now, and although I don’t think this record lives up to all of the hype it received, it is a very solid release.
4. Airbourne – Running Wild
This CD has only been available as an import in the U.S. in 2007, but will finally get its proper release via Road Runner in 2008. This AC/DC inspired rock by these Aussie rockers is a must own release. Another band that is going to be one to watch in 2008.
I thought this record was much better than the debut release. I give this one regular spins, and will continue to do so for quite some time. Myles Kennedy gives a top notch vocal performance here! Blackbird has made me a new fan of Alter Bridge!
2. Sebastian Bach – Angel Down
A great return by Sebastian Bach. Fans of Skid Row’s Slave to the Grind needs to pick this disc up now! One of the best new metal discs of 2007.
1. Scorpions – Humanity Hour 1
The CD Unbreakable was a great return to form the the Scorpions. Humanity Hour 1, surpasses that record, and is one of the top releases by the Scorpions. This disc received the most play by me in 2007, and easily deserves the # 1 spot, as best hard rock record of 2007. Hopefully the Scorpions will do some touring in the United States in 2008 in support of this record.
Let us know what you think of these choices, by posting your comments!
You can also check out additional 2007 Top Lists at the following sites:
Rock of ages (Top 10)